I blogged about my thoughts on the Amazon S3 failure today and what it meant to me and cloud computing in general. There was a fair amount of reaction and feedback out on the web and I wanted to share the comments I enjoyed most.
- Partly Cloudy: Amazon?s S3 Service Goes Down
- Why Hardware Sucks and Backups and Clouds Matter
- S3 outage – We weren?t affected
- Amazon Web Services Goes Down, Takes Many Startup Sites With It
- Amazon S3 / EC2 / AWS outage this morning…
- Amazon S3 Storage Service Goes Down, Still Not Up
It is interesting how fast the blogs pick up on a failure by someone like Amazon, almost like vultures. I guess most people look for a ding in the armor of companies with spotless records.
I like the reaction from SmugMug who was not effected by the outage. I write for InfoQ, who recently switched over to Amazon S3 and EC2 for their video distribution and we were not effected at all. The configuration we have was implemented in such a way that caching saved us.