It seems when ordering from Dell, the Dell Mini memory options are limited to 1G RAM. I understand this is due to some licensing issues with Windows XP and the Dell Mini easily supports 2G of RAM. I decided to check out my favorites computer parts supplier, NewEgg and found the G.Skill 2G 200-Pin DDR2 PC4200 memory stick for $23.99, including shipping.
Installation was was pretty much a non-event;
- Remove the battery to remove all power from the system.
- Took out the two screws holding the cover to the underside of the Mini.
- Removed the existing memory stick.
- Install the new G.Skill memory stick.
- Replace the cover on the back of the Mini, reinstalling the (2) screws.
- Reinstall the battery.
- Boot up and verify in the BIOS, by pressing 2 on startup, that the new memory is recognized.
That?s all there is to it. When booting up into Ubuntu the new memory was recognized, nothing to configure there.