I have been running Windows Vista 64-bit as my main .NET development system for quite some time now and pretty happy with the results. I put each client I have in a VMWare virtual machine (VM) and install the necessary operating system, this keeps things isolated and clean from my Vista host.
I decided to upgrade my Vista host to the Windows 7 RTM, to get some of the niceties I have enjoyed while testing out Windows 7 in a VM. The upgrade went very smooth but only later did I realize there was a problem upon starting a couple of my client VM’s. I was greeted by this error:
After a bit of searching the web I stumbled upon a blog post by Andreas Heil titled Broken VMware Workstation Network Adapter, which described my problem and the solution almost completely. I won’t repeat his solution here, but it turned out Bridging was not enabled on my VMNet1 adapter. My virtual adapter looked liked this:
Checking the box next to VMWare Bridge Protocol fixed the issue of not having network connectivity in all of the effected VM’s.